Some of Black Hollywood’s brightest stars are getting ready to hit the big screen. Our faves include a highly anticipated sequel with Will Smith, a musical drama with Whitney Houston and a controversial historical drama starring Jamie Fox and Kerry Washington.
1. Joyful Noise (January 13): Battling choir members try to put aside their differences to help their church win the National Joyful Noise Competition. Shaking things up even more is the arrival of a handsome bad boy who has an ear for music, but he also has an eye for one of the teen choir members. Starring Queen Latifah, Dolly Parton, KeKe Palmer
2. Red Tails (January 20): African-American pilots in the Tuskegee training program face serration and racism during World War II and then are called into duty.
3. Safe House (February 10): A CIA agent must look after a fugitive in a safe house. But when the safe house is attacked, he finds himself on the run with his charge. Starring Denzel Washington.
4. Good Deeds (February 24): An high-powered business executive (Tyler Perry) who is about to get married when he falls for with a down-on-her-luck single mom (Thandie Newton). Starring Tyler Perry, Thandie Newton, Phylicia Rashad and Gabrielle Union.
5. Think Like a Man (March 9): Based on the bestselling book by Steve Harvey, the movie follows a divorced relationship expert (Kevin Hart) who is battling his own dysfunction, trying to help his group of equally dysfunctional friends and the frustrated women that love them. Starring Kevin Hart, Chris Brown, Michael Ealy, Gabrielle Union, Taraji P. Henson.
6. Men in Black III (May 25): Agent J (Will Smith) jumps back in time to the 1960s, where an alien with its sights on the younger version of Agent K poses a threat to the future of the MIB organization — and the world.
7. The Marriage Counselor (July 27): a burned out couples counselor (Jurnee Smollett) is having trouble finding a fulfilling relationship until her friend (Kim Kardashian) gives her a makeover and a new outlook on life and she starts dating one of her patients. Starring Jurnee Smollett, Kim Kardashian, Lance Gross, Vanessa Williams, Brandy Norwood
8. Sparkle (August 10): Three sisters form a successful singing group and must deal with the fallout of fame and drugs.Starring Whitney Houston, Jordan Sparks, Cee Lo Green, Mike Epps, Derek Luke.
9. Django Unchained (December 25): Quentin Tarrentino directs this controversial western about an escaped slave (Jamie Fox) who must travel back to the deep south to rescue his wife (Kerry Washington) from a brutal slave owner (Leonardo DiCaprio) who runs a brothel. Starring Kerry Washington, Jamie Fox, Samuel L. Jackson.
10. Phenom (2012): With the NBA playoffs right around the corner, reporters learn that the league’s new star player (Chris Brown) is the illegitimate son of an aging NBA star. Starring Chris Brown, Lance Gross, Sherri Shepherd, Dennis Haysbert.